Thursday, May 21, 2009

A century what?

This is my awesome friend Kim who I owe my bike riding obsession to.  We were on a ride last tuesday and she mentioned that she needed to take it easy because she was going to do a century on Sat.  For those of you who are not obsessed with biking a century is 100 miles.  Kim did a few centuries last year and I remember thinking that is something on the list of not worth it will never do right next to a marathon.  But for some reason it all of a sudden sounded like a really fun idea.  All I did was mention it and it took Kim about thirty seconds to say will you go if I pay for it?  Hmmmmmm You betcha, so off we went saturday morning starting at 7:30 a.m.  I honestly can say that it was one of the greatest times I have ever had.  It is amazing to push your body to the limits like that.  


This picture was taken at the end.  I think we look like we could go at least 100 more.
Along the way I was too prideful to ask them to take a rest so I just started trying to hit stuff so I could pop my tires.  Just kidding you would have thought that was what I was doing but no.  The first time I hit some sheet metal and slaughtered my tire.  We had to back track 4 miles to the previous rest stop, on a tire that Macgyver Layne and Kim jimmy rigged for me with a plastic wet wipe wrapper.  Scored big time by getting a free new tire and a new spare tube.  Off we went again and about 7 miles away from the next stop guess who gets another flat.  Me, I was a little afraid that Layne and Kim were just going to keep riding and leave me to fend for myself, which I wouldn't have blamed them, they both bloodied their fingers trying to get my new tire off while I watched on.  Layne and Kim never let me change my own tire.  (Maybe it is because I never volunteer who knows.) About 40 miles, 3,000 bugs and a lake that smells like the worst Hopey diaper ever I got another one:)  Luckily this one wasn't totally flat, Layne was sitting on the grass holding my tire and I swear he had to be saying a few unpleasant words in his head, I know I would have, when he yells at these two riders going by asking if they had a pump and low and behold they did.  So after a 10 min bicep burning pumping session Layne put my tire back on and off we went to finish without any more incidents.     
The above picture was taken at Flat #3 I think.  Layne and Kim you two are so freaking awesome.  I love riding with the two of you.  You take such good care of me when we go on rides and I just think you are two of the greatest friends a person could ever have.  Thanks for an awesome ride!!!!!! 

12 comments:

Kim said...

Layne and I aren't sure whether to induct you into our Century club of just adopt you. Either way, we were very proud! Thanks for pulling MY butt in the last 15 miles!

Adam and Julie said...

CRAZY GIRL. You are amazing. Good job! I need a bike!

Baum Family said...

You are awesome! When Tyson told me what you were doing I about pooped my pants! 100miles WOW!!!! Good for you!

Ashley said...

Wow Calli, that's awesome! I wish I lived closer and could go riding with you. I can't imagine riding 100 miles though. I'm headed out next week. I will give you a call we would love to see you.

AJ said...

Congrats Calli. That is quite an accomplishment.

Tan+Charee+Chloe+Tru said...

wow calli! you accomplish so much! good job that's so rad!

katie said...

um...hello????

kim shared with me the good news that you all have blogs???

why did i not know this????

:)

xoxo

Erin said...

Calli, this is awesome! Someday (hopefully soon) I plan on having you give me some biking lessons. For now, I'll have to stick with cycle class at the gym until I have the money to invest in a bike.

Tan+Charee+Chloe+Tru said...

good luck this weekend on you triatha-long hee hee! get it (long) i crack myself up sometimes.....all the time!

Dubb Days said...

As fun as that sounds it is still on my list of things I don't plan on doing in my life:)
Good for you!

Tan+Charee+Chloe+Tru said...

cant wait for pics of the triathlon!!!!

brit said...

I love it Cal!!! Live it up~~ to the fullest!!!! I'm so proud of what you CONTINUE to accomplish! From canning, sewing amazing quilts & Easter dresses, Constant learner of healing, ever striving to live close to the spirit.....& NOW IT SEEMS~ TRIATHILONS & 100 MILE BIKE RIDES!!!
{& EVEN YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW'S B-DAY CAKES!!!} .....TO NAME A FEW!!! I'll give you three words,"YOU GO GIRL"!!!!!!!!!

Love ya too much,
Nana Lew